Your journal can become comforting, like a good friend.
Candess M. Campbell – 12 Weeks to Self-Healing: Transforming Pain through Energy Medicine
Many of us love to journal. The notebook that keeps our sacred thoughts becomes an extension of us. It becomes full of memories similar to the photos that we have stored for years.
Many of my clients had shared that they were resistant to journaling. Although I suspected it was because they were afraid of the inner journey, it was not that at all. It was because in the past, someone had found and read the journal.
Whether this betrayal was from a parent, sibling, friend or spouse, it was devastating. One client shared that her brother found her journal and read it and teased her. Another said that when she was a child her mom found her journal and was angry at what she had written. She then was punished for her writings.
Having journaled most of my life and having 30 years of my life chronicled in my journals, I can’t imagine what my life would have been like without that written inner journey.
What I suggest is to purchase a canvas 3 ring binder and use a small lock. You can then use a spiral notebook or 3 holed paper and store your writings in this locked binder. You can also buy a locked journal, but most often they are small and you don’t have the room to write messy and large which happens often in a journal process.
Another option would be to buy a locked box. Either of these choices can be stored in a closet or under your bed when you are done.
You can also journal on your computer and store your entries in an anonymous file or add a password to your file. I journal both ways and I find both to be profoundly helpful!
We are in the back-to-school season, so this is a great time to store up on journals, binders, and fast writing pens.
Yesterday I shared with you about Sentence Stems. Here are a few other ways you can begin to use your journal.
These are taken from 12 Weeks to Self-Healing: Transforming Pain through Energy Medicine.
Dear God/Goddess letter – Write a letter to God or Goddess stating everything you need to say. Write as if you are having a private meeting with Him or Her—because you are!
Gratitude list – This is one of my favorites. Write down ten things that fill you with gratitude, and eventually work up to a list of twenty. If I find myself in a grumpy mood, I do this daily. It’s difficult to be angry or negative after doing so, because this activity seems to lift the heart. Completing this exercise weekly is a great goal to improve your mood.
Anger letter – In having journaled for over thirty years, I believe that venting can be quite helpful. When I started going through my journals to pull out the information I wanted to save, I definitely had to sort through the angry letters. Letting this energy go on a piece of paper is much better than turning it inward toward yourself and creating depression or pain—or turning it outward toward a loved one or innocent friend and creating trouble in your relationships.
In future blogs I will share other ways to use your journal. Please feel free to share your own experiences and ideas!
“You can talk with someone for years, everyday, and still, it won’t mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, yet you feel that person with your heart, you feel like you have known the person for forever…. connections are made with the heart, not the tongue.”
― C. JoyBell C.
Soon after I chose my word for 2014 – Relationships – came the resistance. I am beginning to think that resistance may be the shadow side to most of what I want to manifest.
When I teach manifesting, I have my students or clients think about and write down specifically what they want to manifest. As soon as they do this, I encourage them to then write down all the thoughts of why they can’t have this. Now, this may appear counter-productive, but the reality is, these thoughts are going to either surface consciously or subconsciously and it is better to challenge them outright.
So I’ll use my word – relationships. I have made a decision to focus on relationships this year. The thoughts that surface are these:
- I’ll have to slow down and make time for other people.
- I will get hurt.
- People will want more of me than I can give.
- I’ll have to be present to everyone who comes into my life and I’ll get exhausted.
Now, that I have identified the immediate concerns I have, I can challenge them.
- I’ll have to slow down and make time for other people. – In this case, yes, I will do this. I have wanted to do this for a while and I can schedule my life with more play and less work and if I don’t resist this (stress and exhaustion) then I will really enjoy playing and being more present to friends and family.
- I will get hurt. – Just because I am spending more time in my relationships and possibly allowing an intimate relationship, I don’t have to get hurt. I can move slowly, set necessary boundaries until I am confident and feel safe. I have a lot of skills and can use them in relationship. (You will notice that my resistance here appears to come from a need to feel safe.)
- People will want more of me than I can give. – In this situation, the fear is not related to my friends and family, but more to other people. It will be necessary for me to be discerning of where I put my time and energy. It is not like a dam breaking. I can spend time with my friends and family without opening the floodgates to everyone. (overwhelm)
- I will have to be present to everyone who comes into my life and I will become exhausted. – In this case, becoming present is actually a way of being less exhausted. There will be people around me that I don’t have to be continually present with. I can be present with myself and focus my attention where I would like. I am in control. (exhaustion)
I hope this example demonstrates the fears that come right behind your decision to manifest. Now, you can be conscious of the fears and challenge them. The theme of this 30-day blog, is not just relationship to others, but relationship to yourself. You are in control of your life, your choices and your future!